Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Snowflake Swirls Tutorial for Merry Monday #97 Challenge

Sparkle and Shine with Aqua, White and Silver/Grey is the theme for Merry Monday #97.  This challenge gave me the opportunity to try out a technique with Gelatos, Gesso and Dry Embossing to create the background for my card.


Here is a slanted view so you can see the silver metallic beauty:


How did I do it?  First I used a sponge brush to cover White Daisy CS with a thin coat of Gesso.  I let it dry for an hour and then used my heat tool to complete the job.  Then I spritzed the paper with water and scribbled with Cotton Candy and Silver Ice Gelatos.  I used my fingers to spread out the colors.



Next I heat dried this piece before running it through my Cuttlebug machine with the Darice Snowflake Swirls Embossing folder.


Then I used a "wet wipe" to gently remove some of the color from the raised parts of the CS.  (You can see this in the finished card).

Here is a photo of some of the art supplies I used to create this card:



Supplies Used:
      White Daisy CS
      Cotton Candy and Silver Ice Gelatos by Faber Castell
      Silver Metallic CS (retired D.O.T.S.)
      Christmas Melodies stamp (retired Close To My Heart)
      Versamark Ink
      Silver Embossing Powder (retired Close To My Heart)
      Snowflake Swirls Embossing Folder by Darice
      Twinkle Brads (retired Close To My Heart)
      Glitter Ribbon by Celebrate It!
      3D Foam Tape

It was fun to try out a new background technique and I really like how this card turned out.  I can't wait to try it out with more than 2 colors!

I'm also entering this card into http://52cct.blogspot.com/2014/02/metallic-papers-challenge.html52 Christmas Card Throwdown Challenge to use metallic papers and Addicted to Stamps and More for a Clean and Simple card.

Thanks for stopping by!  Have a wonderful week filled with fun and creativity!
:) Marie





22 comments:

sarahstone said...

Wow, Marie! That's really impressive and beautiful! I'm glad I could inspire something. (I would vote for your card to win!)

Greta said...

Stunning card! Now I have a new technique to try--thank you!

Mynn xx said...

This is TOTALLY amazing, Marie! LOVE the fun technique (pinning it!) and the gorgeous shine of the glitter and metallic paper! Just fabulous! Thanks for joining us at 52CCT! :) HUGS and have a wonderful rest of the week! Mynn xx

PS: I'd love for you to hop over to my blog--I've got some blog candy up for grabs! :)

Bonnie said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this, Marie! What a beautiful background for the swirling snow! Thanks for sharing this with us at Merry Monday!

JoAnn said...

Fabulous background you created. I love the embossing folder you used and the design of your card.

Anonymous said...

I love this technique. Your card is elegant.

Marcia Hill said...

Beautiful! Love how you did the background and thanks for all the info on how to achieve that look! I've never seen that embossing folder before, but think I'm going to have to hunt it down...love it! :0)

Princess Judy Palmer said...

What a fun technique and it sounds fairly easy too. I just might have to give it a go as your results are very lovely. You card has such a wonderful winter feel to it.

Ruth M said...

Marie, this card is stunning! I adore the frosty colour combo - perfect with the snowflakes - and the wonderful texture! Your background is amazing! Thanks so much for playing along with us at 52 {C}CT, please join us again soon! Ruth x

Heather said...

Beautiful card - love that embossing design! Thanks so much for the tutorial, too! Can't wait to try this!

Notes by Nina said...

Lovely card, this is such a great technique. Thank you for joining us for Merry Monday.

Patricia Hays said...

Marie, your card is absolutely fantastic! Thanks for sharing how you created that gorgeous background - and for setting me on a quest to find that embossing folder! ;) I'm so glad you shared your work with us this week at 52{C}CT, and I hope you'll join us again soon for another challenge.

Katie Melhus said...

What a fancy background technique, and it looks great embossed like that! I like that fun sentiment, too. So glad you're joining us this week at Merry Monday!

stressfreestamping said...

This is so gorgeous, Marie! I love the new techniques you used and the colors are beautiful. Thanks for sharing how you did it with us at ATSM. :)

Peanut said...

WOW! How lush is that background. Love your gelato work...flawless! Absolutely stunning work of art, Marie!
Thanks for joining the February Stash challenge at 52 {C}CT.
Asha - Sunny Summer Crafts

Deborah Frings said...

I really like the colours and the lovely shimmer on the silver card - lovely work. Thanks so much for playing along with 52CCT this week!

Danielle Vincent said...

Your specialty created paper is just fabulous Marie! Love the look of this and thanks for the description of the process. Really glad you joined us this week at 52CCT!

LeAnne said...

THis is beautiful! I just bought this embossing folder because I LOVED what I saw being done with it! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at the Merry Monday challenge!

Louise van Vuren said...

Absolutely love this, thanks for the step by step guide to creating that effect- will try it! Thanks for joining in with our metallic papers challenge this week at 52 CCT

Louise xx

carol (krillsister) said...

Pretty card. Great background. thank you for sharing your technique.

Wendy said...

Awesome background technique, Marie! Love the sentiment! Thanks for playing along with us this week over at Merry Mondays! :)

Nonni said...

What a beautiful Christmas card with wintry feel. Thanks for joining us this week at ATSM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...