Monday, July 1, 2013

Masking 101 for Heart 2 Heart Challenge

I'm very excited to be sharing with my Close To My Heart friends in this first post for the Heart 2 Heart Challenges Design Team!  This is a challenge blog run by Close To My Heart consultants and featuring--you guessed it--Close To My Heart products.  Our challenge this first week of July is to share something made using a "Masking" technique so I chose one of my favorite CTMH stamps called "Cozy Cat" to illustrate this technique.  Here is my finished card:


I started with a 5.5" x 4.25" piece of White Daisy CS.  How did I get 3 cats on this piece?   I started with stamping the cat in the center first.



Next I  made a "mask" by stamping  the cat onto a piece of yellow Post-it Note.  I turned the notepad upside down so that the pillow base was over the "sticky" part.

Then I cut the mask out right on the lines.

Next I placed the mask over the stamped image.


I stamped to the right of the cat and onto the mask.


Then I reinked the stamp and placed the cat to the left partially covering the mask.




I then removed the mask and voila--3 cats, 2 appearing to be behind the center cat!

 
After I had my three cats stamped, I used the following Close To My Heart Alcohol markers to color them in: Honey, Ruby, Whisper, Pacifica, and Topiary.  Each marker set comes with a lighter and a darker marker of the same color so it made it really easy to get two tones on each pillow.

The Whisper CS mat was cut at 6" x 4.75" and the Pacifica base is 6.5" x  10" (card folded in half). The sentiment on the Ruby CS panel (1.25" x 6.5")is from Love Life and was embossed with White Embossing Powder.  If you have been following my blog for any length of time you probably know what my favorite embellishment is--Stardust Glitz Glitter Gel which I applied to the cats' collars.

Would you like to join us in this masking challenge?  Create a papercrafted item using mostly Close To My Heart products and use a direct link to link up here.  You must mention Heart 2 Heart Challenges and link back to us in your blogpost if you enter the challenge.  You have until the end of the month to post it here.  We will pick winners at the end of the month for each of the challenges of the month. We look forward to seeing what you create!

Check out what the rest of the Design Team has to inspire you:
Brittany, Carol, Kelly and Haley.


Thanks for stopping by!  Have a wonderful week filled with fun and creativity!
:) Marie






2 comments:

canadian_liner said...

Great card, and great "toot" on masking. I'm more of a doggie person myself, but you make those kitties so appealing, esp with their glitzy collars...☺

Anonymous said...

I am not a cat person at all but you sure showed these felines off to perfection! At first glance, I thought you had paper pieced them - which would have been quite a 'feet' - until I read the details. Great job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...